Social media is a part of our world. And many businesses, both large and small, choose to utilize the various social media platforms for marketing benefits. As users of social media, companies would do well to be up-to-date on what’s making waves. Most recently, Facebook announced that current privacy regulations are about to change.
Settings are to be completely removed that have, up until now, allowed users to remain hidden when other people type their name into the search bar on Facebook.
How to Maintain Privacy:
While the primary method users have relied on to maintain their privacy is about to disappear, there are still many methods of keeping a low profile on Facebook.
- Monitor posts – ensure you select whichever option you would prefer when creating a new post (i.e. share with public, friends or friends, or only friends).
- Turn on “Timeline Approval,” which notifies you whenever a friend is posting information about you (your location, whom you’re with, etc).
- Set your profile so as you have to review and approve a friend “tagging” you in a post before you are publicly linked in the post.
- Create friend groups with whom you can share various information, if you have some material you’d rather not share with every friend on your list.
- Disable search engines, outside of Facebook, from being able to search for your profile. (For example, someone who searches your name on Google won’t see your Facebook profile listed amongst the results).
- If someone is truly bothering you, the best way to maintain your privacy is by blocking that person.
Although you may manage your personal Facebook account much differently than your company’s account, understanding the basics of the social media platform you’ve chosen to use is wise. Staying on top of the latest updates will help you becoming a smarter social media marketer. If you are interested in learning more about social media updates and marketing, contact Autumn Consulting today!