You try to pull up your social media account only to realize you’re totally locked out. Someone’s changed your password and started to post – and the messaging is anything but on-brand.
If your small business social media accounts have been hacked, take a deep breath. There are several things you can do to regain control of your account and resolve the situation. Autumn Consulting, a Google search marketing firm, has years of experience helping small business owners maintain a safe and effective social media presence.
Here’s how we recommend you regain control of your social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Resolving Social Media Hacks On Your Small Business
What happens when you build up a social media following and experience a serious hack? If the hacker uploads or posts inappropriate content, social media platforms might close your account.
Thankfully, there’s no need to panic. Many people have experienced this situation before and successfully regained their accounts. Here are the steps you should take to regain control over your small business’ social media.
Restore Your Hacked Facebook Account
Facebook hacks are extremely common in the small business world. Thankfully, these are usually resolved in a matter of days.
Here’s what to do:
- First, let your followers know your Facebook account has been hacked. You may want to use your email list for their purpose, since your account may be closed or shut down at this time.
- Next, take action to ensure you regain control of your account. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to start a conversation with the Facebook Help Desk.
- Report a hacked account using this link. Facebook admins will help you log back into your account and regain control.
If you can’t get in touch with any Facebook administrators, you can try tweeting them @facebook.
Restore Your Hacked Twitter Account
If you think or know your business Twitter account has been hacked, start with the following tips:
- Immediately fill out the password reset form to lock the attacker out.
- If this doesn’t work, submit a Support Request for additional help.
- Let your followers know via posts and email about the hack.
The entire process should take a matter of hours.
Restore Your Hacked Instagram Account
Can’t log into your small business Instagram account? Recovery takes just three steps:
- Start by requesting a password reset. The sooner you do this, the sooner you can recover your account.
- If your attacker has changed other information about your account, you’ll need to request Instagram support.
- Wait for further instructions. Instagram might ask you to submit a video of yourself to confirm you’re a real person.
If the hacker tries to delete your Instagram profile, you may be in luck. Instagram stores your account data for up to 30 days, meaning they can help with reactivation for up to a month.
Recovering From A Social Media Hack
The attacker is out and your social media accounts are safe — for now. If you want to make sure your business accounts are secure, you need to perform a few housekeeping chores.
- First, set up multifactor authentication. This prevents hackers from logging into your accounts using just a username and password.
- Change passwords for all other social media accounts. You may want to change them every few months anyway just to be safe.
- Don’t access business social media accounts through public WiFi. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
A hacked social media account is anything but a pleasant experience. That said, the road to recovery is relatively brief, provided you follow the right instructions.
If you’re not sure how to get started with social media account recovery, Autumn Consulting can help. We’ve assisted hundreds of small business owners with social media management and would be honored to do the same for you.
Get in touch with us today to inquire about how we can help.